Think Puzzles and Think Cool Math
Here are some essays illustrating astounding tidbits of mathematical delight. And here are some purely visual puzzles to surprise.
The true joy in mathematics, the true hook that compels mathematicians to devote their careers to the subject, comes from a sense of boundless wonder induced by the subject. There is transcendental beauty, there are deep and intriguing connections, there are surprises and rewards, and there is play and creativity. Mathematics has very little to do with crunching numbers. Mathematics is a landscape of ideas and wonders.
Here are some jewels for you to behold ...
- Wrapping-Paper Slicing
- Impossible Braids!
- JMM 2014 Weird Ways to Work with Pi Workshop
- Integer Triangles
- Clocks: Have you ever noticed … ?? (VIDEO!)
- The National Math Salute (VIDEO!)
- The PIGEON-HOLE principle (ESSAY!)
- Divisibility Rules Galore! (VIDEOS)
- Sums of Squares Formula (VIDEO!)
- Sicherman Dice (VIDEO!)